Are you Pregnant? Are you Considering an Adoption Plan?
What is an adoption plan?
An adoption plan is an outline of what you want for your child and for yourself through the adoption process and after the child is placed for adoption. You are likely facing an unplanned pregnancy and have decided that adoption is the best option for you and your baby.
Your adoption plan might include choosing an adoption professional, the steps of your adoption process, choosing an adoptive family and the level of openness or communication with the family (and your child), counseling support, a financial budget, your birth or hospital plan, and post-placement support.
How do I create an adoption plan?
When considering your adoption plan, it is important to ask yourself two questions:
- What is best for your baby?
- What is best for you?
Don’t worry, an Adoption Choices of Colorado adoption specialist will work with you in sorting out the answers to these questions and working out the details for your adoption plan to make sure the adoption process matches your wishes.
Our local adoption agencies in Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and across Colorado are here to help. We can meet you in person or over the phone, text, or video. There is no obligation to choose adoption when you contact us and our services come at no cost to you as birth parents.
Adoption plan tips
- Be flexible when you create your adoption plan. You don’t know exactly how you will feel through the adoption process nor post-placement.
- Consider your ‘non-negotiables’. Your must-haves. If there are things that you absolutely will not ever sway on, add them to your plan.
- Don’t just plan all this in your mind. Having it in writing is so helpful as you move forward. Situations will arise, emotions will cloud your judgment. And of course, circumstances and people will change. You will need to have your plan to fall back on, to remind you of what is most important.
- Don’t rush as you compose your adoption plan. A due date that is getting closer and closer may feel like a very good reason to rush. But don’t let panic overcome you. This decision does not have to be made before your baby is born. You can take as much time as you need to make your decisions. With proper planning, you will find the right family and create the right adoption plan for you and your baby.
Why do I need an adoption plan?
Making an adoption plan helps your adoption specialists know your wishes throughout the adoption process. It ensures we can advocate for you, match you with an appropriate adoptive family, and secure the financial and emotional support you need through your adoption journey.
Putting your adoption plan in writing is called a Post-Adoption Agreement and it is important. Although not legally enforceable in all states, putting everything in writing is strongly encouraged as it helps you, our adoption center, and the adoptive parents ensure that you are all on the same page regarding future contact.